Thursday, June 23, 2011

Motivation to Overcome

I love the water.  I grew up in it.  I started swimming at 8 months (no exaggeration). I learned to walk on a sail boat (ok, so I'm exaggerating a bit with that one). I'd been snorkeling in the Bahamas before I was 5. I joined a competitive swim team at age 7.  I was ocean-rescue certified at 10.

So why am I not SCUBA certified?

I'm afraid to.  I never liked wearing a mask.  The idea of filling my mask with water and clearing it out again, all without returning to the surface is paralyzing to me.

So when my father-in-law offered to help us get our certification (he knows a guy), of course, I said, "GREAT!  AWESOME! SIGN ME UP!!" Actually, it was more like, "I'll give it a try."

Then, as if I needed extra motivation beyond the whole it-would-be-awesome thing, I stumbled upon the work of  Jason deCaires Taylor the other day.

From http://repeatingislands.com/2010/05/13/jason-decaires-taylor-interested-in-creating-underwater-sculptures-in-barbados/
 Although I am totally creeped-out by masks and inanimate faces, statues don't bother me.....unless they're teeming with sea life and rendered virtually unrecognizable.
From: http://uwart.org/fine.aspx

I would likely psyche my self out the same way I do when walking around the house in the dark.
Maybe I can overcome more than one fear, because it is now a life goal of mine to see these in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment